Thursday, October 15, 2009

Matt. 11:2-11 Evidence that Jesus is the Messiah

I’m going to change the way in which I blog these gospel texts. In the past, I’ve been more academic, more religious, more exegetical about the text, letting Martin Luther contribute to the discussion. I’m feeling a little blogged down by this format. Rather than cover a whole text, or be limited by one text a week, I plan to blog about a text from Luther's Church Postil that we are studying for the week, and a possibly another text from the lectionary for Sunday. I might focus on the entire text or just one thought. My primary goal is to identify what each text might be able to teach us for the present day rather than simply analyze what happened in the past.

This text in Matthew 11 shows Jesus’ answer to John the Baptist’s question (from prison) as to whether or not Jesus is the promised messiah, or should they expect someone else. Jesus said, “Look at what I do – that should tell you who I am.” Can our denominations say the same thing? If people want to know if we are the Body of Christ in the world today, can they look at what we do and determine if we are like Jesus? The same applies to me as an individual. If people want to know if I am a follower of Jesus Christ, can they look at what I do and be convinced?


Is my religious work focused on protecting the word of God, or the dogma and doctrines of my particular church theologians? Or are we clinging to our denominational loyalties (Luther, Calvin, Edwards, Wesley, Aquinas, etc.) today like Luther said the church of his day clung to their saints and popes?

What did Jesus do to show he was the Christ? He said, “Report what you hear and see. The blind receive sight, the lame walk, those who have leprosy are cured, the deaf hear, the dead are raised, and the good news is preached to the poor.” Where there are good works, there is Christ. Where there is good news, there is Christ. The odd phrase Jesus added was this: “Blessed are those who do not fall away on account of me.” Why would Christians today fall away from Jesus who was a healer, a forgiver, a servant, a witness to the goodness of God? Maybe because Jesus wasn’t a condemner or a punisher. Maybe because Jesus did not match the tradition's image of God from the Old Testament…a God of law rather than a God of love. Many people desire a God who will make bad people (which never includes them) pay for their sins for eternity, rather than accept that the Son received the punishment to himself.

The Christian life consists of placing one’s complete trust in God as revealed in Jesus, and acting in love toward our neighbors in need. I am the blind, the lame, the leprous, the deaf, the poor person who is totally dependent upon Jesus Christ to make me whole; I cannot do this on my own effort. Christ alone heals my spirit, and frees me to experience peace, joy, love, and hope as I live to please Him.

Blessings - PWM 

No comments:

Post a Comment